Friday 31 July 2015

Steamed Ginger Milk Custard (served with Osmanthus Syrup)


Steamed Ginger Milk Custard was listed in my trial list for so long.  I have fallen in love with this dessert when I first tried a few years ago during my first visit to Macau.  This dessert is well known among the Chinese community inclusive me!  I just love the smoothness of this dessert when it melts in my mouth with little of spiciness taste from the ginger, heavenly.

As I have a practice of controlling the sugar level in my food, I have cut down half amount of sugar when I made this dessert, but then, when I thought of others who might have a different perception, I have this idea pop-up in my head - to serve with syrup like what we used to do when we eat bean curd custard (tofu fa).  I have added some ginger juice and dried Osmanthus in my syrup.   Dried Osmanthus is my regular item of making flowering tea or blooming tea, which could improve skin complexion.  

So ladies, how could you miss this wonderful easy to make dessert!  

INGREDIENTS

450ml fresh milk, room temperature
4 egg white, room temperature
3 tbsp caster sugar (you may add more to your desired taste)
3 tbsp grated ginger juice (is also up to your desired taste)
3 pcs of aluminium foil to cover bowls or ramekins



Osmanthus Syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp grated ginger juice
1 tbsp dried Osmanthus
1 cup of water



DIRECTIONS

1.  Grate ginger to extract juice.  Fill 1 tbsp of grated ginger juice in each bowl or ramekin.  Set aside.

2.  Combine sugar, egg white and milk in mixing bowl.  Lightly beat them until sugar and egg white dissolved.

3.  Sieve the mixture using a fine sieve.  Repeat this step for 2 - 3 times for smoother custard result.

4.  Transfer the milk mixture into the bowls.

5.  Cover each bowl with aluminium foil.

6.  Place all the 3 bowls or ramekins into the wok or steamer to steam in high heat for 10 minutes.  Once done, off heat.  Do not remove the lid, leave them in the wok for another 10 minutes. 

7.  Remove from wok or steamer, remove aluminium foil and serve immediately.  Don't forget the Osmanthus syrup!

Osmanthus Syrup preparation:

1.  Boil 1 cup of water, stir in brown sugar and ginger juice.  Continue to boil in low heat until mixture thickens.

2.  Stir in dried Osmanthus, mix well and let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving.











No comments:

Post a Comment